When your air conditioning system takes an unexpected hiatus in the scorching heat of summer, it can be uncomfortable. You have scheduled an AC repair service, but the hours or days until the technician arrives may seem like an eternity when it is sweltering. Fortunately, there are several strategies you can employ to beat the heat and stay cool while waiting for your AC to be repaired.
1. Create a DIY Cooling Zone
One of the quickest ways to combat the heat is by designating an area in your home as a cooling zone. You do not require any major installations. Instead, you should focus on making the most of what you have:
- Use Fans: If you have portable fans, strategically place them in the living area to promote air circulation.
- Block Sunlight: Close curtains or blinds to keep out direct sunlight, which can significantly increase indoor temperatures.
- Ice and Fan Trick: Place a bowl of ice in front of a fan. The fan will blow cooler air as the ice melts, providing temporary relief.
By concentrating your efforts in a smaller space, you can create a more comfortable environment while minimizing energy usage.
2. Stay Hydrated
Maintaining proper hydration is essential during hot weather. Drinking plenty of water helps your body regulate its temperature and prevents overheating. These are a few hydration tips to beat the heat:
- Water: You need to drink water consistently throughout the day. Keep a reusable water bottle nearby for easy access.
- Electrolytes: You should consider drinking electrolyte-rich beverages, especially if you are sweating heavily. These can help replenish lost minerals.
- Avoid Dehydrating Drinks: Limit alcohol, caffeinated beverages, and sugary drinks, as they can contribute to dehydration.
Additionally, consuming water-rich foods like fruits and vegetables can contribute to your overall hydration.
3. Optimize Natural Ventilation
You may want to maximize natural ventilation to keep your home cooler:
- Cross-Ventilation: Open windows on opposite sides of your home to allow cross-ventilation and to create a natural breeze.
- Night Ventilation: In Las Vegas, temperatures can drop significantly at night. Open windows during cooler evenings and close them during the day.
- Use Exhaust Fans: Bathroom and kitchen exhaust fans can help expel warm air and bring in cooler outdoor air.
Be mindful of security when leaving windows open, especially at night.
4. Take Cool Showers and Baths
A refreshing cool shower or bath can provide immediate relief from the heat. This is how you can make the most of one:
- Cold Showers: A cold shower can quickly lower your body temperature and leave you feeling refreshed.
- Lukewarm Baths: If you prefer a bath, opt for lukewarm water, which is less shocking to your system than ice-cold water.
- Keep It Brief: You should not linger too long in the water, as prolonged exposure to cold can have adverse effects.
After your shower or bath, pat yourself dry gently with a towel and allow the residual moisture to cool your skin.
5. Seek Cool Public Places
Sometimes, the most effective way to stay cool is to escape your home temporarily. Public places with air conditioning can be a refuge during a heatwave:
- Malls: Shopping centers are typically well-air-conditioned, offering a comfortable environment to pass the time.
- Libraries: Libraries are quiet and air-conditioned spaces where you can read or work.
- Community Centers: Many community centers offer recreational facilities and air-conditioned spaces.
You can spend a few hours in a climate-controlled public place to get a much-needed break from the heat.
Bonus Tip: Schedule Regular AC Maintenance
While you are waiting for your AC repair, consider scheduling regular maintenance for your cooling system. Routine maintenance can prevent future breakdowns and ensure your AC operates efficiently when you need it most. Professional technicians can clean coils, check refrigerant levels, and identify potential issues before they become major problems. It is an investment in your comfort and peace of mind.
Other Benefits of Regular AC Maintenance
- Enhanced Efficiency: Maintenance involves cleaning coils, checking refrigerant levels, and optimizing various components. This ensures that your AC system operates at peak efficiency, reducing energy consumption and lowering your cooling bills.
- Prolonged Lifespan: Well-maintained AC units tend to have longer lifespans. You can extend the life of your cooling system and delay the need for costly replacements by investing in regular maintenance.
- Improved Indoor Air Quality: Maintenance includes cleaning or replacing air filters, which improves indoor air quality. Clean filters trap dust, pollen, and allergens, creating a healthier living environment.
- Consistent Cooling Performance: A properly maintained AC system provides consistent cooling, ensuring that your home remains comfortable even in the hottest Nevada summers.
- Warranty Preservation: Some AC manufacturers require proof of regular maintenance to honor warranties. You can enjoy warranty coverage with regular maintenance, potentially saving you from repair costs down the road.
DIY Tips to Prevent Frequent Breakdowns of Your Air Conditioner
- Regular Maintenance: Schedule annual or bi-annual maintenance with a professional HVAC technician.
- Avoid Overworking Your AC: During extreme heatwaves, avoid setting your thermostat too low. Use ceiling fans and keep curtains or blinds closed to reduce the load on your AC.
- Change Air Filters: Clogged filters restrict airflow, forcing your AC to work harder, potentially leading to breakdowns.
- Keep the Area Around the Outdoor Unit Clear: You should make sure that the outdoor condenser unit is free from debris, leaves, and overgrown vegetation.
- Check for Refrigerant Leaks: If you notice a significant drop in cooling efficiency, it may be due to a refrigerant leak.
- Clean Evaporator and Condenser Coils: Dust and dirt buildup on the evaporator and condenser coils can reduce the AC’s efficiency and cooling capacity
- Monitor Thermostat Settings: Make sure that your thermostat is set to an appropriate temperature. Avoid setting it to extremes, as this can strain your AC system.
Choose a Proven Air Conditioning Repair and Replacement Contractor
The air conditioning technicians at Active Plumbing and Air Conditioning are committed to minimizing downtime for your unit, ensuring it operates efficiently with no disruptions. Our range of services also includes water heater and HVAC replacements and maintenance. You can count on us for high-quality and dependable services at all times. To book your appointment, give us a call at 702-857-7132 or complete this online form.